Wednesday, November 01, 2006

A true Osaka experience

On Sunday I had dinner with Japanese friends that I met in Melbourne and we had Osaka's famous dish - takoyaki. Takoyaki are octopus balls and are very tasty. You cook them at the table on a special takoyaki hotplate that has dimples all over it. You pour the takoyaki batter on to the hotplate then add fillings like pickled ginger, cheese and most impotant, octopus. You have to flip the cooking balls with your chopsticks and once they are done you eat them with mayonaise and teriyaki sauce and bonnito and nori flakes - very tasty (or Oishii, as the Japanese would say!)

On Friday I am going to visit Kyoto, famous for its traditional lifestyle, kimonos and the golden pavillion. I am hoping to buy myself a camera so I can show you all. Apparently the momiji (that is autumn leaves) are just reaching their height of beauty.... we shall see.

Otherwise, I am keeping myself busy writing my first novel and fighting off a throat infection.

So much for today....

No comments: