Saturday, August 08, 2009

things don't always go to plan...

Why is it that when something is so eagerly anticipated, it doesn't quite meet your expectations?

Of course... in the world of Aussie Rules football, that shouldn't come as a surprise... but it was my first visit to see Geelong playing this week (and my parent's first in over 3 years!)... plus we hadn't lost to Carlton since 2004... well this week proved the exception!  Ah well, it was still great to be at the footy with my family, and  it was the first time I'd ever been into the "members' area" of the hallowed Melbourne Cricket Ground (MCG)... but still, would have been better if the boys had played a decent match!

I also have a little apology... only three week's in and I've missed the song of the week...! Not to worry I've been sitting on this one for a few weeks, but decided to spread out the Christian and more secular music.  

A very good friend of mine allowed me to borrow a CD (in exchange for the tape that had been in high rotation in my car!).  It's an album by a little band called Paul Coleman Trio.  Many of the tracks spoke to me when I first heard the CD back in the early 2000s... so naturally I wanted to become reaquainted with them.  I'm fairly certain I've referred to this track in previous posts, and its just one of several good tunes on the album, but this is the one I always find myself coming back to... It's called "The Sun, the Stars, & the Moon"

Do you believe it’s true
It all depends on you?
If you were to fall down
We wouldn’t know what to do?

I’m a lonely soul
I’m a lonely soul
When I think I’m alone

I want to be the moon
‘Cause it reflects the sun
Don’t want to be the star
That shines on everyone
I want to be with you
‘Cause you’re the only one
Who heals my lonely soul


Have you ever got
Everything you want?
Well did you fake a grin
And feel you lost when you win?

I’m a lonely soul
I’m a lonely soul
When I think I’m alone

I want to be the moon
‘Cause it reflects the sun
Don’t want to be the star
That shines on everyone
I want to be with you
‘Cause you’re the only one
Who heals my lonely soul (repeat)

That bridge often returns to me on days when I'm feeling "lonely", and I remind myself that its probably my own fault that the phone hasn't rung... or I haven't received an e-mail....  I also have to remember that the ONLY one who has been, and will be available 24-7, anywhere, anytime, anyhow... is Jesus.  I've been blessed on many different occassions with a verse and/or story from the bible to remind and reassure, often to challenge my wrong thinking too!  More than once I've received a feeling, or a vision of my LORD with me... be that the Spirit, God my Father, or even Jesus.  Not quite as tangible as a hug, but the depth of the peace I've felt should be reminder enough that I only have to reach out to Him and he is there.

Ah.... but I'm a weak, and self-centered, creature... I long to touch, and feel the comfort that human contact brings.  It's so easy when meaningful human contact isn't around to feel that I'm alone, but that's a lie, and this song helps me to remember that.

SO.... even when things don't always go to plan... I remind myself that the week has sure ended well... 

  • Special times with my family apleanty
  • Yummy strawberries from Queensland that take me back to the Sunshine Coast
  • Walking into a house that smells of my Mum's baking!
  • Enjoying a live footy match (even when your team doesn't win)
  • Finding discount new shoes to replace my really, really worn-out ones
  • the fact that I'm not going to be woken up by piano lessons in the morning!

.... still, regardless of the last point, it is past my bed time... catch up again soon <><

P.S... please excuse excessive exclamations! :P




1 comment:

Pat said...

I love excessive exclamations, I use them all the time, and I also use a lot of ...., which shows I'm thinking!
This is another very thoughtful post my sweet Aussie g-daughter. Your heart is an open book, which is such an endearing quality. That song has beautiful words, and how smart you are to realize that only God is your constant. Sometimes, because we are human, lonliness can creep in. I have a husband, children and grandchildren, friends and neighbors, but I can still feel lonely. Do you suppose that God builds that in so we won't fail to focus on Him? In His infinate wisdom, I think maybe He does.
Blessings and hugs to you!!!!