Monday, August 03, 2009

Monday's musing...

I've had such a wonderful weekend...  but unfortunately that makes it difficult for me to settle down and rest on a Sunday night... in order to start the new week well.  I have a long history of Monday-itis!  It's not so bad at the moment as I don't have to go to work or school currently, so I can ease into my week rather than facing it head on... but I know this won't last!

Still it means that I have time this Monday to muse a little before getting on with my to-do list, so here we are :)

Why was my weekend wonderful?



The above picture was taken at my older brother's engagement party back in late 2004... and the only photo I could find of the seven of us in my collection!  This weekend we were all together again in Melbourne.  The first time since February 2006!

My sister and I picked Mum & Dad up from the airport on Saturday night... now I remember why I don't like airport greetings & farewells (the waiting and parking fees!), but they arrived safe and tired, but very, very happy... just as you'd expect.

The weekend continued with lots of smiles, hugs, a few tears, stories, good food, tours (of my sister's house... my new place tomorrow, and my brother's on Thursday night), walking, going to church... ah... so good to have all my family around me again!  I was even told off (by my little sister, not my parents), but I don't mind ;)

So, as usual my musing began with thankfulness.  Actually, only my bad days are absent of thankfulness... I would posit that's why they're bad!

But that's not why I'm posting today....

Before I went to sleep I started writing a short story, and when I woke up I wrote down a series of questions... mostly beginning with how and why (the two most interesting ones in my opinion).  Both the story and the questions could reasonably be bundled under one theme... and isn't God amazing?  My bible reading from Hebrews this morning also touched near the edge of the subject.

I've been thinking a lot... that's not unusual for me, but my thinking and dreaming has taken on an exciting edge for me this year.  You see... three years ago I lost hope for a while.  I don't know if you've ever had the experience of losing hope, but it is truly devastating.  Especially for a child such as myself who grew up knowing and loving God and the hope he gives us.  Because during this time I didn't lose faith, or love... just hope.

Now if you're familiar with Paul's first letter to the Corinthians, you will be familiar, as I am that three remain... faith, hope and love, but the greatest of these is love.

So losing one's hope I would suggest is not as devastating as losing love... but any of the chord of three is sure to make life difficult.  There is also much documented about hope.. what it is, how you maintain it against all odds, how it can be taken away, why you can't lose it... etc, etc... I googled "lose hope" illuminating!  Perhaps I also didn't lose hope completely... though I would strongly suggest I came dangerously close... and the reason I'm writing about this now is because this year I've experienced the opposite.  Regaining my hope.  I guess I'm speaking of hope not just in my LORD, but the ability to see a situation as better than it actually is... or has the potential to be.  We all need to be able to remember the sunshine when it's gloomy... or we cannot stand the gloom.  Just as we know the sun will rise after a long, dark night.  

A storm briefly ripped through my suburb last night.  I remembered that my quilt cover is still on the washing line!  But I love listening to and watching storms when you're tucked safe inside your warm, safe home.... (the news just told me my suburb wasn't the worst hit!)


The picture to the right shows a little what it looked like... of course it was dark outside so I couldn't see all that much... but I could see the trees shaking and twisting and see and hear the rain whipping windows and ground... I could also smell it... bliss! 

Anyway... I've gone a little off topic again... I guess I just wanted to encourage us all... that these seasons come and go (I'm finishing off my 20s with gladness) but three remain... Faith, Hope and Love.  I'm so thankful and excited to have regained my full ability to hope.... stay tuned for what that will result in... (only God knows precisely at present!) :D

3 comments:

Givinya De Elba said...

Hi Joce, thankyou for the lovely comment you left on my blog. Regaining hope is like a breath of fresh air in a stuffy room. No it's not - it's like being saved from falling over a cliff. Hmm, not sure I'm getting there, but you understand me don't you?

What a lovely post!

Joce said...

I love to encourage my fellow bloggers, so it was my pleasure! I do understand you... it's a magical sunrise, a new adventure, up there with welcoming a new member of the family... not that I've had any kids yet, but if it's half as exciting as seeing a fellow sibling come to Christ... then I'm guessing its pretty exciting! <><

Derek said...

I like this post, Joce! Keep it up!