Friday, August 14, 2009

It's not Wednesday but... I still sing!

Sorry for not posting sooner folks... I've been a little out of sorts this week (All that goes up, must come down.... sort of thing)  Added to that, the fact that I haven't had all that much time to spend online.  

It was my wonderful Mum's birthday on Monday, and the first we've been able to celebrate in her presence for three years!  It actually made it almost more difficult... no dispatching "interflora" this year... I had to choose a card.  I chose the one that made me smile the widest.  I think it went down well enough.  I was the only child who managed to give Mum a wrapped present too; so I think that earn't at least one brownie point!!  The card... and my "two bobs" about Mum in today's post will just be "I love you!"  Hopefully some new photos to come in the not too distant future....  Here's an "old" one:

Now, back to "song of the week"... The other reason I haven't been spending time online this week is because we "opened" up the storage that Mum & Dad (and then me) put away in 2006.  It was actually delivered to my sister's house on Mum's birthday... so I guess that could also be counted as a present??  I was a little disappointed to discover that I didn't put any boxes into storage... but then again, if I haven't needed it for the last 3 years... I can continue living without it, can't I?  (Most times my head says, rather resignedly I admit, yes - I can!  The heart is catching up....)

And so to the song I sang most heartily as we unpacked... (we were at my sister's place and she has an ipod deck... and mutiple ipod's as Mum & Dad each have one)  Mum requested The Seeker's (a huge Aussie band from the 60s) and I followed that up by requesting Michael Card's album Poiema.  I love most of the tracks on this album, it has a real celtic feel to it with the music as well.  Still, in thinking about the stuff we don't need... the following song spoke to me most clearly

"Things We Leave Behind"

There sits Simon, so foolishly wise
proudly he's tending his nets
Then Jesus calls, the boats drift away
and all that he owns he forgets
But more than the nets he abandoned that day,
he found that his pride was soon drifting away, and
It's hard to imagine the freedom we find
from the things we leave behind


Matthew was mindful of taking the tax,
and pressing the people to pay
Hearing the call, he responded in faith
and followed the Light and The Way
Leaving the people so puzzled he found,
the greed in his heart was no longer around and
It's hard to imagine the freedom we find
from the things we leave behind


Every heart needs to be set free,
from posessions that hold it so tight
'Cause freedom's not found in the things that we own,
It's the power to do what is right
With Jesus, our only posession,
then giving becomes our delight, and
We can't imagine the freedom we find
from the things we leave behind


We show a love for the world in our lives
by worshipping goods we posess
Jesus said "lay all your treasures aside, and
love God above all the rest
'Cause when we say 'no' to the things of the world
we open our hearts to the love of the Lord and
its hard to imagine the freedom we find
from the things we leave behind 

Oh, and it's hard to imagine the freedom we find
from the things we leave behind

(If you want to hear this song... look it up on YouTube... there's a live version of Michael doing it for his "Scribbling in the Sand" project a few years back... enjoy!)

And just imagine the freedom you'd find... from the the things you leave behind...?

P.S. I'm off on family holidays from the 14th to the 31st... so I'm not sure if I'll get to post much in that time... if I don't, rest assured I'll make it up to you all after the 1st!

2 comments:

Pat said...

Hello Joce and all those precious Ridleys!
Enjoy your time together, there's plenty of time for posting later!
I got your wonderful letter Joce..what a treat!!!

Derek said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY! I'm so glad you are all getting some time together!!!!