Tuesday, October 14, 2008

RMOM

Random moments of Mirth... 

Have you ever overheard a snatch of converstation, seen something you didn't expect, or even done something yourself that produced unexpected (and mirthsome) results??

I was inspired by Hippomanic Jen's post on her Appromimately None blog (http://approximatelynone.blogspot.com/2008/10/how-embarrassment.html).  Even just now I heard the news reader on ABC Classic rather loudly clearing his throat, I think he was expecting the grab to go on a few seconds more.  I love hearing news readers guff... or there was a truly embarrassing moment at his wedding reception.  My brother and his new wife were introduced into the room incorrectly (by his brother-in-law's surname) instead of our own, which admittedly is somewhat similar.  

Or for my own, and I never witnessed this, thank God.  When I was in grade 4 I was chosen to play Peter Pan in our school play.  The grade 5s and 6s weren't so keen on this idea, but I proved myself by learning the ENTIRE script, (and miming eveyone else's lines on stage!) Thankfully there doesn't seem to be evidence of that year's play on video.

Then there was the evening my Mum played my Dad... My friend and I had a tradition at the time of spending Saturday in the Adelaide Botanical Gardens, ostensibly to paint, but mainly just to wander around dreaming our adolescent dreams.  Well, Ali came home to our place for dinner and as we're eating Mum casually announces that we met two boys at the gardens that day and had arranged for them to pick us up and take us to Glenelg (Adelaide's version of St Kilda).  Well, Ali and I just looked at eachother and then at Mum, who must of winked or something to get us to play along.  Dad was a little unsure, but mum entoned that she trusted out judgement... ra, ra, ra... anyway, dinner ended and we all went on our separate ways... Dad to the throne room and Mum outside to water the garden... So, Mum sneaks around to the front door and rings the bell.  I have NEVER seen my father get up from the bathroom so quickly before or since!  

There was another time Dad had us in stitches (sorry Dad, but I'm sure you can get me back with a few stories too...) He often would drop in at the Central Market to get something for our dinner, as it was just around the corner from his office.  Well, on this particular Friday evening he was so please with himself because he had scored a WHOLE watermelon, and it was quite big, for $1.  Mum replied quite cooly, "But Darling, where are the saussages for our dinner?"  Dad, of course, had completely forgotten about sausages, so I think we had pizza, oh, and watermelon!!!

What random moments of mirth have you enjoyed recently? Share them, so we can all have a laugh!!

Oh, and here is a little clip I've enjoyed on youtube recently... enjoy! :D



2 comments:

Gaynor said...

Oh, I completely love this post and I am still laughing (at Dad's expense). Surely I did some very silly things as well. I love being reminded of these stories. Did we have fun OR WHAT !!!!!!

Joce said...

Yes we did have some fun... (especially at poor Dad's expense!!) Mmmm, some funny Mum moments.... oh, I remember when you were talking to the video camera while preparing lunch, I think you thought it wasn't on.. ha, ha, ha.. or... no, will have to e-mail you that one! xo