Saturday, March 24, 2007

Just a thought....


The traditional church celebrates Lent at this time of year. It is 40 days (excluding Sundays, for some reason) from Ash Wednesday (mid Feb) until Easter (Good Friday). This sunday is Palm Sunday, when we remember Jesus entering the gates of Jerusalem. Riding on the colt of a donkey, but receiving a welcome fit for a king.
In my church we've been focussing on prayer... each sunday we've looked at a further sentence of the Lord's Prayer. I'll reprint it for those not familiar...
Our Father in Heaven
Hallowed be your name
Your kingdom come, your will be done on earth as in heaven
Give us today our daily bread
And forgive us our sins, as we forgive those who sin against us
Lead us not into temptation
but deliver us from evil
For the kingdom the power and the glory are yours
Now and forever amen.
(that's the prayer book version, for the original see Matt 6, or click on the link below.)
We also have a lenten study guide of daily psalms and prayer points.
I've found it really helpful. It is always good to be reminded of our creator and I have especially been focussing on the Great Commandment. It is simpler and more challenging than we realise... just as it is to hear no evil, see no evil and speak no evil. This world has never been easy, but it is so difficult to not be "me" person in our generation.
Please join me in praying that this easter many will see Christ for who he is...

6 comments:

Pat said...

Beautiful post Joce...the world teaches the opposite of the what the Lords prayer tells us to do. You mix human nature which can be very selfish into the picture and you need prayer more then ever!

Joce said...

Thank you Pat. It can be so difficult not to be self-centred. I think William Blake expresses it best in his poem... do you know it? (The Clod and the Pebble). Our Me generation is so self-centred, but God calls us to a different way... I hope you are feeling better <><

Pat said...

I am not familiar with that poem, but rest assured, I am now looking it up..thanks.

JC said...

Heya Joce, just stumbled onto your blog via Tracey's.
That's a great post, and a lovely poem to go with it! Thanks for the reminder of what life is actually about, especially at this time fo year, when I've just (as you can attest to) been flat out with musical stuff, as well as trying to keep up with life in general.
Cheers!

PS. May I link you to my blog?

Joce said...

Hey JC,

of course you can. Glad you liked my book too, yes, must get back to it... have been unmotivated about all sorts of things lately... not so good...
I want to check out your blog too... what is it called?
Blessings, Joce <><

JC said...

Hey, just realised I didn't sign off with any recognisable name, it's Jon Choong btw, though you probably could've picked that up from what I wrote!
Anyway, mine's
http://emptychairsemptytables.blogspot.com
though I must warn that writing-wise, I'm nowhere near as accomplished as you, and I'm a terrible blogger to boot!
Love, Jon