Sunday, July 11, 2010

Ups and downs of traveling

Sometimes everything goes peachy... and other times....

When departing Melbourne Airport I forgot to grab a departure card at check-in, so I dutifully returned and when I got there they asked for my boarding pass.  It was taken away and upon return had been upgraded to business!! Well, you can imagine my excitement... I'd never had this privilege before and it was a 14 hour overnight flight to Doha.  I felt like royalty, but just to ensure I didn't get used to the idea too soon... I was assigned what would have to be the worst seat on my leg to Frankfurt.  No window for my window seat (for views of the Mediterranean and Alps) and no ability to recline my seat - most uncomfortable and I strongly recommend you avoid row 27 on all long-haul journeys!!  One could say a rather bi-polar experience, two extremes of the airborne journey.

Then on Thursday, Mum and I went for our swim in the Rhein.  All you have to do really is float as the strong current pushes you along.  It is very popular with locals during the summer.  All was going swimmingly... that is until I left the water and felt very green around the gills.  I gave my poor mum and her friend a scare as I fainted on the stairs!  This is a bad habit of mine... now I am banned from swimming in Perth and Basel!  It will be paddling in the shallows from now on, sadly.


This coming Wednesday brings Bastille Day and I will be attempting a French Classic for our dinner.  Then on Thursday afternoon we head to Rome.  Hopefully no misadventures to be had there!

Ciao for now, Joce xo

1 comment:

Pat said...

I will be traveling to Rome next year, and I'm dreading the long flight. To not even have a window to look out would be the worst!
Don't scare your poor Mom any more...we can only take so much!
Look forward to more adventures!
xoxo