Thursday, July 22, 2010

Rules for Roaming

Now that I have spent the better part of a week exploring Rome... I thought I'd treat my readers to some witty "rules" to follow on your next visit....
  • Wear appropriate shoes
When in Rome... you WILL be walking.  The narrow streets are unevenly paved with cobblestones and scooters, motor bikes and even cars can come careering round corners so keep your eyes open.  Also, Romans think nothing of barging into you - you have been warned!

  • Guard your personal space on public transport!
The buses and trains can become very crowded... I won't go into detail here, suffice it to say you'll have a much more comfortable journey if you can nab yourself a seat!
  • Buy water only once
You should only need to buy one bottle of water (pay no more than 1E).  Once you've drunk that you can refill it all over town at the plentiful water fountains (choose the ones meant for drinking rather than the decorative ones).  Even on our 40 + days the water from these fountains was refrigerated cold and very refreshing.  Also, drink up, the pavements and surrounding buildings radiate heat day and night in peak season.
  • Ensure you know how to say "No"
There are salesmen everywhere trying to get you to join their tours, buy their wares or just get your money.  Learn how to say "no" emphatically.  I usually raised my hand in a backing off gesture as well.  It can get a little bit annoying.
  • Buy a multi-trip ticket
We bought a 7 day ticket for 16E which allowed unlimited travel on city buses, trams and the metro.  The buses are the best option.  You have to walk for ages and ages to get to your train (especially at Termini station near where we were staying).  For Melbournites... Termini is a bit like Box Hill... all the buses seem to go there! 
  • Pre-book your visit to Villa Borghese
There is a great museum at Villa Borghese on the edge of town (Galleria Borghese).  It has a wonderful history and great collection of paintings and sculptures (especially Bernini, who made a significant mark on Rome you will notice).  However, the queues are long and it you don't book beforehand you are unlikely to get in on the day you visit.  Allow plenty of time, you will probably spent 1.5 - 2 hours in the galleria, but the villa is also situated in lovely formal gardens.
  • Shop at the Drugstore
The Drugstore doesn't sell drugs.  Conads is just one chain of "drugstores" that sell groceries.  We saved a lot of money buy purchasing fresh fruit and sandwiches or salads to cover two of our daily meals.  Eating out can become very expensive - and don't bother with much of a tip unless the service is really good as most restaurants bill a cover charge up to 5E.
  • Know what you want
Mum and I were determined to nab a few bargains (chiefly shoes and clothes), and we did!  However the sales assistants can be quite pushy, trying to sell you additional items, especially jackets, so keep in mind what you want and be firm (or you'll spend a lot more than you intended!).  This month almost all the stores had Saldi (Sales) and up to 60%.  We also found that most of the items we bought were wholly made in Italy, which in nice.  So do not be surprised when you see me in my new clothes to hear me reply "why I bought it in Roma" when you ask where I got it...!
  • Curb your enthusiasm
I was disappointed by a few things, so do not build up your travel experience more than necessary.  I found the Vatican overwhelming and more than a little over-the-top, but it was worthwhile.  The queues to get into the Basillica and especially the Sistine Chapel (it was too hot for me to queue up for that one) can be long and you have to wear sleeves or wrap something over your bare shoulders.  Also they charge 16E for entry to the Colloseum and Palatine Hill now (each) and if you join a tour you usually have to pay your entry in addition to the tour charge.  Again, be prepared for long queues... especially for the Colloseum.
Also, I was a little disappointed with the food (especially the gelato).  In Melbourne we are blessed with high quality Italian fare.  Watch out where you eat too, the prices will be heavily inflated nearest the big sites so travel a block or two away to find a cute, authentic experience.

  • When in Rome...
you know how it goes.... Do as the Romans do.  We enjoyed our daily siesta.  It was far too hot to venture around town all day so we generally visited the sites in the morning and shopped in the evening.  This meant we achieved what we wanted and didn't get too grumpy and hot.

Lastly, don't be merely an armchair traveler... save up and have your own adventures! Ciao xo

3 comments:

Gary said...

Hi, I'm trying to get some feedback on my blog, please let me know what you think =]

Feel free to subscribe and post comments.

Thanks
Gary Infinity
http://selfsucceeding.blogspot.com/

Pat said...

Hello my sweet g'daughter! I love these pictures. Look like you and Mom did some serious shopping! I must say, I think I would melt in the heat, I don't do well in the extremely high temps! I hope it's cooler when we go next year in October.
Thanks for all the tips, I appreciate all the advice I can get!
What wonderful memories you are making, priceless!!!

nick said...

Who made the pictures of you?