Thursday, March 12, 2009

Belated Blogging




I cannot seem to get my act together lately so am belatedly blogging best birthday wishes to my beautiful little bliss, Glenda, and my bella Aunty Irene (I have another name for her but those who've read Roald Dhal would think it uncomplimentry, so I won't tell you!!!)

It was Glenda's birthday on the 7th... I don't remember her birth as I'm only 21 months older than her, but I do recall that it was a Sunday, that her birthweight was a little higher than mine, and that she's the fair, smiling, benevolent one (compared to me.... hence the name Bliss)

No really, she brings sunshine into the lives of those she knows and loves, and I suspect even into the lives of those she doesn't really know... I have a memory of a Christian folk singer's song about sunshine at the edge of my brain (Help me Mum, what is it?? Evie...)  Glenda used to love that song.

Anyway... over the years we've done the usual sister kind of things, and mostly I look back in fondness.  Recently too, as we caught up over hot drinks post a session at the Rivoli we had to agree that our relationship has gone from a difficult patch to a new strength.  So I just want to Thank God for giving me such a beautiful little sis, and thank my sister for the encouragement and support she's lavished on me over the years.  I really do appreciate it!

Now to Aunty Irene... what can I say?  You're the third of five sisters... born on March 12th, my only Aunty who doesn't have children of her own, and.... I would have to say you're the Aunt who keeps in touch most often and keeps the memory of my special West Australian family close by.  You always have a cuppa and a listening ear ready, you've always demonstrated love, interest, enjoyment in the things I've achieved (or not quite), the times we've spent together, the letters and phone calls we've exchanged, and even the advice that you've dispenced is so treasured and appreciated.  Though we've never lived nearby one another, you've always been close.  So thank you for always making an effort with your distant neices and nephews and I'll continue to look forward the next pot of PoW, or G&T, or new & delicious Indian restaurant... that we can share together!  

Happy Birthday Aunty Irene, sorry I didn't get that birthday card in the post... an extra special letter on the way... but glad that you were spoilt on your special day (and apologies from Tim that he woke you!!) (wink)  here's a pic  of Mum and Irene with Mum's place in Schopfheim in the background (Irene gets to visit her more often than I do)... which one is which?

6 comments:

Gaynor said...

Step into the sunshine, Get out of the shade.
This is the one time that you’ve got it made.
And you will feel yourself smilin’ right down to your shoes,
Step into the sunshine, Find the great good News.

Lord have mercy on the long lost child,
Who wants to come home but the worlds gone wild.
Looking all around for a way to begin,
Open the window let the light pour in.

Step into the sunshine, Get out of the shade.
This is the one time that you’ve got it made.
And you will feel yourself smilin’ right down to your shoes,
Step into the sunshine, Find the great good News.

Lord have mercy on the broken man
Make him wake up believin’ yes he can!
If he only will try to make it just once more,
Prayin’ will open up that golden door.

Gaynor said...

Oops, I forgot to say this is by Evie. Funny, Dad and I were only talking about this song yesterday (Wednesday) and saying what a fave it was with Glenda and then Ruby and Matilda. Isn't that just fantastic?

Joce said...

I can just hear Glenda's cute little girl voice singing it at the top of her lungs! Yes, I remembered it after posting last night... did you keep any of those records? Can't wait to go through that storage....

Gaynor said...

We had Evie on tape. Johnny fixed a tape player (small) this week that Fritz gave us so we've been enjoying Abba, Evie, The Seekers,
Rutter, Peter, Paul & Mary - oh my goodness have we been having fun. One Question????? Why won't my husband dance! I just love to move. He thinks it's silly!! Keep your eyes out for these on CD please!

Joce said...

You know as well as I do, that because when Dad tries to dance he DOES look silly!! He's a man with all the melody & an absence of rhythm... dancing is all about the rhythm... but when you're here we'll go Salsa-ing together... ok?? ;) xo

Gaynor said...

Oh, MAKE THAT A DATE! You said it, now you have to stick to it. What fun! Not sure how I'd go though. Could be interesting! The other week we had some Salsa dancing after morning tea at Centrepoint. It was so funny, but I didn't do it!